You don’t just wake up one morning a become a different person.
This is just one of the phrases from a diary I have started this year that I intend of being my book of thoughts, ideas, experiences, realisations, words, quotes, phrases, actions, prayers…mainly positive, motivational things that have captured my attention. The phrase above represents quite possibly why many New Year’s resolutions fail. As opposed to resolutions, I think we should have aims for the year. Something that will take time to develop and might not even necessarily be achieved in the year but to work towards, because even the simplest of things require a large personal change. For example, I like and prefer things to be clean and tidy, but usually it’s not my priority (I’m writing this post, still not having taken my dinner plate to the kitchen). As much as I’ve tried, since I do believe in the concept of “cluttered environment, cluttered mind,” I’m a person who follows my heart, and my heart told me my priority is to bash out this blog post before I forget what I was going to ramble about. But on a larger scale, my point is, as much as I tell myself, I want to be more self confident, I want to be a more positive or realistic person, I want to portray myself as a better person, these things definitely don’t happen overnight and definitely don’t happen just by thinking it. One step I have taken though, is to write such thoughts down, things I’ve picked up from TV, Facebook posts or conversations with others and I’m going to share some of them:
- Have faith
- You can wait for something all your life and then finally get it (your childhood dreams may come true), but then still be unhappy with it as it didn’t turn out to be what you expect it to be.
- Live in the present, live for the present. You can’t change the past and there is only so much you can do to shape your future. Do what’s going to make you happy today.
- We always complain and worry about the things we don’t have, instead be grateful for what we do have. Otherwise you won’t realise until you’ve lost it.
- Everything happens for a reason.
- Negativity attracts more negativity. Don’t think negatively of anyone. You don’t know what they’re going through, what they’ve been through and when you might be in their position.
- Be happy with yourself and others around you will be happy.
- Everywhere you fit in isn’t where you belong.
- Put on your own oxygen mask before helping others
- Don’t pretend to be optimistic, be realistic and prepare yourself for failure.
- Life is too short to be angry or hateful. You are still in prison if you have anger, hate or bitterness. (Nelson Mandela)
- Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.
- There are some people who could hear you speak a thousand words and still not understand you. There’s others who will understand you without speaking a word.